Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Emerald City here I come!


One Thing I really miss from home is getting dressed up and going for a night at the theatre. Don't get me wrong Japan has theatre in the form of Noh and Kabuki which are both famous for their amazing yet creepy costumes (see above) it's just I really don't get it. It's not just that I don't understand what they are saying (it's very old Japanese very ssslllllllloooooowwwwlllllyyyyyy spoken) but the beauty lies in understanding the smallest of gestures and I am more of a musical girl. Luckily on both my recent trips I managed to squeeze in time for a show. Wicked in London and Cirque du soleil in Vegas.

I saw a cirque show last time I was in Vegas too and they blow me away. Its like sitting in your most vivid dream for an hour and half with no idea where that the line between reality and illusion exists never mind might be in the same room as you. Add to that amazing costumes and you have my happy place.



After hearing Wicked mentioned in an uncountable number of films and TV shows over the last few years I thought it was about time that I got in the loop and was really surprised to find that it was actually pretty good. Not only was the story really clever in incorporating the original (I will never be able to watch the wizard of Oz again without shouting "that's not how it happened!" at the screen) but the costumes were stunning. Not surprising considering each cast member changes, on average, into eight completely new outfits through the course of the show and that the show's costume designer, Susan Hilferty, won a 2004 Tony Award for her work on the original Broadway show.

It seems the Emerald City is a milliners Mecca which is Wicked as I love green (no pun intended).







No comments:

Post a Comment